Much has been made about whether or not the Jaguars would pick up their 5th year team option for QB Blake Bortles. On Monday the team did just that. Now, Blake Bortles is locked in with the Jaguars through the 2018 season. Here's some key things to know about this situation.
1. The Jaguars are now guaranteed to have Blake Bortles through the 2018 season - IF they want him.
2. The Jaguars could still cut Blake Bortles after the 2017 season if he plays poorly and not have to pay him in 2018.
3. If Bortles does play well in 2017 the Jaguars will be able to keep him at a discounted rate for 2018. His 2018 salary will be around $18 million, which is considerably cheaper than it would be to Franchise Tag him or sign him to a long term deal.
4. Coughlin and Marrone clearly weren't lying when they said Blake Bortles was the team's quarterback. They didn't draft a quarterback or sign one in free agency.
5. The 2018 QB class is lining up to be on the better ones in recent memory and the Jaguars could easily address the position with a 1st round pick next year if Blake plays poorly.
Stay tuned for more!
This site is not affiliated with nor endorsed by the NFL or the Jacksonville Jaguars."NFL" is a registered trademark of the National Football League. "Jacksonville Jaguars" are a registered trademark of the Jacksonville Jaguars. The information provided on this website is provided for information and entertainment purposes only. RSS Feed.